Tuesday 9 April 2013

A day on Ann Siang Hill

vscocam162

vscocam161As someone who has worked in front of Ann Siang Hill for a month, i don't think I find it as interesting, artsy or unique as many other people do. Where do you go when you want to bask in the undiscovered gems of Singapore? You visit less mainstream little alleys with independent cafes and vintage i-will-never-need-that-but-let's-buy-it shops.

And google was adamant. You want artsy and undiscovered? Go to Ann Siang. So I obliged.

vscocam156 vscocam151

vscocam159The day started, as all important days do, with coffee. I have only recently (worryingly) discovered that I am a coffee addict. I get coffee withdrawal symptoms if I skip my morning cuppa. I get moody, I cry, I swear more than necessary and I start talking in a very bad Irish accent that sounds mildly indian.

I have always wanted to try out the coffee at shots. While working at the lomo store I drank enough nespresso every morning to get put off the idea of caffeine by the time I got to work. But today, I came prepared.

And what of their coffee? Tangy, sour. Incredibly strong. If you are a coffee snob like myself and take pride in the fact that you are able to down your coffee black, bitterness and all, go for it. Plus, they had a really good salad bar and sinful-looking cakes. Must remember to go hungry the next time.

(there WILL be a next time, see?)

vscocam152We then pottered around Club Street and down chinatown. This is how we found ourselves in the middle of a very large lunch-time crowd in front of a seedy looking seafood place, very lost and very hungry.

NEVER FEAR! Google maps to the rescue. Duxton road sounded safe. Duxton road sounded calm and relaxing. Out of chinatown, into Duxton for lunch.vscocam157 vscocam158

vscocam155Group Therapy Cafe is a cafe you would probably only go to if you knew about it. It's on the second floor of a shophouse and the only thing warning you of it's charming presence is a blackboard with the words 'SERVING BRUNCH'

Brunch? On a weekday? I'm game.vscocam153 vscocam154Ordered the Udon salad with those funky fish roe bally-balls. Also a Quiche. We split half/half. The Udon came dressed in a mayo sauce which I surprisingly did not hate. For sasha gill to not hate something with mayo in it is quite a feat, so you should realise how good it is (the fish roe helped some). The Quiche was equally delicious, but for some reason contained little chunks of ham despite being labelled 'vegetarian quiche'.

Now, do vegetarians eat Ham?

I should hope not.

Shots
Website: http://www.shots.com.sg/
Address: 8 Ann Siang Hill, Singapore, 069458

Group Therapy Cafe
Website: http://gtcoffee.com/
Address: 49 Duxton Road, #02-01, Singapore 089513
Cafe Opening Hours:
Mondays: Closed
Tuesday - Thursday: 11am to 6pm
Fridays - Saturdays: 11am to 11pm
Sundays & PH: 9am to 6pm

2 comments:

  1. Definitely I would not like to find *surprise ham* in my quiche!! (It did happen to me once though, I got a 'vegetarian pizza' just to discover a thin layer of ham hiding UNDER the cheese! Sneaky, sneaky ham.)
    Really loved all your photos. You have really an amazing eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! And I don't eat red meat, so I had to pick it out individually :( I could imagine a strict vegetarian wouldn't be so pleased. Aw, thank you!

    ReplyDelete